Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Jenks, OK- who knew?

We had a great little staycation Sunday and Monday. Phantom of the Opera at the Tulsa Performing Arts Center was amazing. Is it true that this was probably the third or fourth tier troupe that performs this Broadway show? Their voices were ridiculous. Perfect! Of course, the music is haunting and beautiful anyway. I almost cried it was so beautiful.

Afterwards I'd hoped to have some sushi for an early dinner, but In The Raw in the Brookside area of Tulsa is apparently closed. (I heard Mark mutter "thank the Lord!" You think I don't hear but I do!) So we found a sweet little Mexican restaurant with a covered patio and great food.Then off to Jenks. It's just south of Tulsa off of the Creek Nation Turnpike. We stayed at the only hotel next to the Aquarium. Since we've been trying to walk we were excited to see a paved walking path along the Arkansas River. Yay! While walking we kept hearing live music so when we were done sweating we cleaned up and walked the opposite direction to the Riverwalk Crossing. Lots of restaurants, live music in a couple of places, families and couples strolling along the river. We had a seat at one of the cafes and enjoyed the music as the sun went down. Who knew you could find that atmosphere in Jenks? Plus it was one of the rare low-humidity nights. Refreshing!!



On Monday the aquarium was a cool and relaxing way to spend a couple of hours on a hot day. The best part is the shark tank. Plus the Fishes of Oklahoma exhibit will make you never want to swim in an Oklahoma lake again. That's why when I water ski I spend a lot of time splashing and kicking while waiting for the boat to come pick me up. I don't want any of that wildlife to take an interest in me! 120 year old alligator snapping turtles? 110 pound, 7 foot catfish? Really?

Anyway, we're back to the real world today. I guess I can't complain too much since I have the week off.

No comments: