Wednesday, November 12, 2008

When mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy

Life is good. The cup is half FULL. I'm blessed. Today is the first day of ...yada yada yada.

Truth is I'm cranky and seeing life through smudged, dirty glasses (as opposed to rose colored glasses. Keep up! I just said I'm cranky). Repeating all the appropriate positive thinking phrases doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I really think it goes back to expectations. I often have high expectations, want things to be just so, expect people to be reasonable, rational and helpful. But reality doesn't always cooperate. And, I admit, my expectations are often unrealistic. So, just for today I hope to follow the little-known second half of the Serenity Prayer:

...Living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time; accepting hardship as a pathway to peace; taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; trusting that You will make all things right if I surrender to Your will; So that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with You forever in the next. Amen.

2 comments:

Shari said...

Is that really part of the prayer? I like it just as much as I like the part I know.

Cari said...

Yep. It's the real deal. I think I like it better!