Monday, May 4, 2009

Something for everyone

A Monday list of thoughts and ideas and random stuff...

1) Who knew Twitter could teach life lessons? (Rhetorical question of the day)

Wisdom from @suryasnair on Twitip:

Twitter is where you learn to let go. Of course, if you follow only five people, it is easy to keep up with what they are doing. But in most cases, you have to let go, and not follow every tweet and conversation thread on twitter. You realize that Twitter is not a bottle from which you drink every last drop. It is a stream from which you take small sips. And once you realize that you cannot be perfect, it is easier to stop being super human at work and in personal life. You realize that your life is not a bottle of water which the world can drain to the last drop, it is a flowing stream from which they can take small sips. (emphasis mine)

2) I think I have the capacity to put up with a LOT of crap that most other people wouldn't. Call me stubborn, tenacious, stupid - I just don't let go easily. This is especially evident in my house, which is seemingly under constant renovation. I can live with dirt and dust and half finished projects for a reeaaallly long time. I'm not saying this is necessarily a good trait. I'm just saying it is what it is. This tolerance is true except when it comes to inefficiency and mean people. Faced with these two things (not usually at the same time, of course), I get irritated. Not much tolerance there. (self examination of the week)

3) I have had many kitchens in my married life (wait, I'm counting). Twelve. And that doesn't count the times we mooched off of relatives between moves. Anyway, the point is that pretty much all my kitchens have been one-butt affairs. Small, but not necessarily efficient. As a result, Mark and I have developed an intricate dance while working together to prepare a meal or clean up after one. I move right to grab something out of the cabinet while he seizes the opportunity to pass behind me to get something out of the fridge. We grapevine, side-step and shuffle our way around each other without bumping or generally irritating the other. Then add the two dogs, who sit or lay in the only available floor space, eyeing us expectantly for the rare, accidentally dropped treat. So imagine my surprise today when Mark unexpectedly exclaims, "Would you three get your big lard butts out of my way?!" What? Quick glance around to count bodies. Of course, Mark quickly caught his error, pointing out that he was talking to the TWO dogs. Mmmhhmm. Freudian slip? Miscalculation? The dance continued. (laugh of the weekend)

4) After five years, the small plant I transplanted from the backyard to the front has finally bloomed. I had pretty much given up on it ever putting on a flower. Maybe it likes the cool, wet weather we've had recently. Whatever it is, I hope it continues. These flowers are so big and gorgeous. Anyone know what they are? (iphone pic of the weekend)





4 comments:

Cari Kelley said...

LOVE the kitchen dance--this is our first kitchen to do that in, though!

might be Camillias? hard to tell though...

Cari Kelley said...

or peonies?

Cari said...

Hi other Cari. My mom says they are peonies. I think that's right.

Shari said...

Look like peonies to me. In our kitchen the dance practice is usually squelched by a significant (pregnant) pause in movement, a heavy sigh, or that LOOK. All from me,of course. I should learn to dance and not hoard space.