Sunday, February 7, 2010

21 Gun Salute

"We're dealing with children, they need to be terrified, it's like mothers milk to them - without it their bones won't grow properly." (Sue Sylvester - Glee)
My baby is 21 today. I'm not going to dwell on how old that makes me feel, because today's not about me. Actually, no day is about me. Once you're a mom it's rarely about you. It's all about how to get this creature who was just squeezed out of a very small and heretofore generally unseen part of your body and laid in all her gooey glory on your breast to adulthood. To become a reasonably well-adjusted, contributing member of society. To not pick her nose or her wedgie in public. To bathe regularly, change her underwear daily, keep embarrassing images off of Facebook, respect those in authority, love God, and call or text her mom occasionally. And not necessarily in that order.

Somehow in this crazy whirlwind life we've led she managed to grow up by all accounts and appearances to be healthy and well adjusted. As a family we have made more memories in these 21 years than most people make in a lifetime. And she's just getting started. Twenty-one is an important milestone, and I've been trying to think of something new that I would add to the things I wish for her. But really, my wishes are the same as they have been from that first moment on February 7, 1989.

Now that both my daughters are adults, I suppose my desires for my children have morphed into a more grown-up version.


  • Love God. It's THE thing that really matters over the course of your life, not to mention eternity.
  • Be transparent. You know I have a thing about that.
  • Don't put off really living this day. It's easy to get caught up waiting for something better, something bigger, something...whatever. Don't waste today waiting for that something.
  • Forgive, then forget. Unforgiveness rots the soul. Just let it go.
  • Find joy in the simple. Sometimes life sucks, so it's important to cultivate the habit of looking for joy in unexpected places.
I just know I couldn't be prouder, couldn't be more impressed, couldn't be more grateful.

Happy 21st, sweet girl.

1 comment:

tessa said...

Love it Love it Love it.

And you :)