Thursday, June 19, 2008

Wild at The Wilds

We don't get out to The Wilds often enough. Every time I'm out there I feel like I've gone on vacation or somehow wondered by mistake through a time warp. The old mill and the covered bridge still amaze me. We were our there for Father's Day fishing, canoeing, roasting marshmallows for s'mores, playing volleyball. Yes, it was 95 degrees and very humid. But we built a fire anyway.

I can't remember how long it's been since I rowed on a lake in a canoe. Apparently my muscles and brain retain the memory 'cause it was really easy and oh so quiet and relaxing. Mark and I in one canoe, Dana and David in another, and Angela with two of Dana's granddaughters rowing around the smooth surface. That was BEFORE the DeLong boys took their turn, and played bumper boats.

I've decided fishing is like gambling. Every cast has the potential of being the "big one". So you keep casting. Tessa didn't catch a thing, but not for lack of trying. Angela and I finally pulled her away and forced her into a canoe. Apparently I was the canoe nazi, bossing them around from the steering position. We couldn't resist singing the theme song from Pocahontas as we rowed. Yep, we're dorks.

No comments: