Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration stuff

My office decided to "work from home" for the rest of the day so we could watch the inauguration festivities. I have to say I was moved to tears. The new President's speech, the benediction by Rev. Lowery, the departure of President and Mrs. Bush - all very moving. Good stuff.

Now for the stuff I'm not hearing from all the earnest news coverage:


  • Does Jill Biden not realize she's 57 and wearing your hemline well above the knee is just not cool? Or attractive.
  • Was it just me or did Hilary look a little peeved that it wasn't her day?
  • Having tall daughters and being relatively tall myself, I wonder if Michelle Obama would prefer not to stand next to Jill Biden. If I were Mrs. Obama I'd request that Mrs. Biden always stand on the other side of the Vice President. She's the First Lady. She can do that!
  • Although I admit I have Mark and our friend Berry to help renovate my house, I'd love to have the crew that has swooped down on the White House to do the fastest renovation ever!
  • Did you know that the White House was essentially rebuilt during Harry Truman's tenure? Apparently when he moved in he determined the White House was still standing only by force of habit. You can read all about it here.
  • Speaking of Truman, his Mother-in-law also lived at the White House, not unlike Mrs. Robinson, Michelle Obama's mother, who has plans to at least temporarily reside there to help with the Obama children. According to Myra Gutin, a first lady historian and professor at Ryder University in New Jersey, Truman's mother-in-law didn't like him much and felt Bess had married below her station. Really? I mean, the guy was the President of the United States. You'd think she'd get over it. I don't think Obama will have that problem.
  • Dude, it's not a good day for old men. Cheney in a wheel chair. Ted Kennedy removed from today's luncheon with a seizure.
  • I thought only grade schoolers called the song "America" by the name "My Country Tis of Thee".
  • If you couldn't go to the actual inauguration, maybe you can go to LegoLand to experience the somewhat smaller and, well, squarer, celebration. I'm surprised my brother hasn't posted this on his blog.



1 comment:

Shari said...

Great list! I saw all of it, but didn't SEE it until you pointed it out.

Fun!