Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cocktail schmocktail

Last night I had to attend a work related cocktail party/reception attended by lots of "important" people. At the end of the day when I'm tired and the brain has shut off, I really struggle to make small talk, look perky and interested...basically act like I care. And I needed to act like I cared because funding for my program was a hot topic. While I don't have any problem talking with strangers, I'm way more over into the introvert side. I only leave my house because I'm forced to by the desire to pay my bills, buy groceries and get that last kid through college. Otherwise I'd only leave the house to go to Starbucks, Hobby Lobby and Home Depot. Of course, I'd have to have a computer at home. But otherwise, I'd be content.

The good news was the reception was in our building, so when I got too tired of trying to look engaged, I'd cheat and sneak back to my office and surf the internet for a while, or whine on Twitter. My twitter peeps suggested the cocktails are what makes these types of social events doable. But I'm not much of a wine drinker, and the bartender didn't look prepared to make a cute little fruity beverage that makes the alcohol more tolerable. I'm just not into the hard stuff and I had to drive home. Although that last thought didn't seem to stop anyone else. I checked the headlines this morning and didn't see reference to DUIs and "important" people, so that's good.

On a completely different topic - sorry, couldn't think of a proper seque - oh wait, I could have said something about feeling "important". Anyway, my point is I wanted to share a couple of nice mentions from other blogs here and here. An unexpected bonus to this blogging thing has been connecting with people through the blogosphere. See, I told you I'd never have to leave my house.

No comments: