Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sanity is not all it's cracked up to be

You know the definition of insanity, right? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Supposedly Einstein said that. All the pithy little quotes seem to be attributed to either Einstein or Abraham Lincoln. Did they really have time to sit around thinking up pithy little quotes and writing them down so future generations could google them? Maybe they did. Maybe I'm just way past cynical.

Another blogger reminded me of what Craig Groeschel said on Sunday.

If you want what you once had, do what you once did.

He was applying it to relationships, but I think it works well in many areas of life. Also the antithesis of that thought, which is:

If you want what you've never had, do what you've never done.
I'm going to have to think about those for a while. I can come up with many, many examples of doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Truthfully, if I want what I once had, or what I've never had, I would have to pause long enough to think thoughts deeper than whether The Bachelor will choose Molly or Melissa, or if I should paint the kitchen walls off white or pale blue, or if my house will ever be fully clean again. I'm going to have to work on that.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

I've always liked, "If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got." (spoken with appropriate drawl) :-)

Staci said...

I personally like "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want".