Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Job Schmob...who needs one

I can finally feel myself breaking through the post-job-loss fog. I'm greeting each new day with a bit of anticipation instead of wondering what the H.E.Doubletoothpick just happened. In fact, I could get used to this. So many hours for being crafty, reading favorite blogs, creating websites . Too much fun. I wonder if people ever actually make money on their etsy shops. I spent hours out in the sweltering garage yesterday making artwork for Angela's classroom interspersed with hours of creating things in Photoshop, Flash and InDesign. And yes, I did a little job searching too. Even had a phone interview. Go me.

It's the creative stuff that puts me in the energy-gain area, as opposed to energy-drain activities like waiting on hold with the unemployment office for hours. I could create all day, but when I've finished a project I feel a little like I did back in first grade bringing home that little clay bowl and presenting it proudly to my mother. I thought it looked amazing and my mother, God bless her, proudly displayed the misshapen thing. But I know that the only beauty in it was the inherent beauty of anything crafted by a child's small hands. Certainly there was no commercial beauty.

Truthfully, something has value only because someone has assigned value to it. But who gets to choose what is valuable and what is not? Who decides what beauty is or is not? Think of Crocs for example. Truly any value they possess is in the eyes of the beholder!

I'm going to think on this today...the true value of activities or things. Which comes first - the value or the beauty? Hmmm.

"We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly" Aristotle

2 comments:

Stephen said...

That Aristotle was a pretty clever guy. Hey - seeing as how you're all crafty and business savvy and fairly clever as well, isn't this your big opportunity to start some blockbuster business? Well, not like Blockbuster, 'cause they're pretty much toast...
Life Coach? Small Business Management Consultant? How about developing Whistling Wind into something more substantial? Missionary fashionista? Bulgarian arms dealer? Just trying to be helpful here.

Cari said...

Good idea! OK, Missionary fashionista is an oxymoron. And Life Coach is sooo 2008. But I'm working on the Small Business Management Consultant and the Whistling Wind thing. (The Bulgarian arms dealer gig was supposed to be anonymous. Thanks for blowing my cover!)