Monday, July 26, 2010

Feelin' Groovy

What is that noise? I don't recognize it. Wait. It seems familiar in a hazy, I've heard that somewhere before but I can't place it sort of way. Reaching back into the hidden compartments of the middle-aged woman's brain...almost have it...there it is! That sound is

SILENCE!

Tessa has gone back to her college town, Mark is working at a client's office, the in-laws haven't emerged from their room yet. Silence. Blessed, glorious sound of silence. Ahhh.

The Sound of Silence. Great, now I have Simon & Garfunkle lyrics stuck in my head. "Hello darkness my old friend. I've come to talk to you again." I once knew the words to every song on the Simon & Garfunkle's Greatest Hits album.


"And here's to you Mrs. Robinson, Jesus loves you more than you will know...Wowowo"

"I am a rock, I am an i-iii-land. And a rock feels no pain. And an island never cries"

Rocks, islands, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Why did we love these songs so much? Maybe because the tunes were catchy and the lyrics easy to understand? All I know is that when I'm old and senile I'll still be able to bust out a chorus of "Feelin' Groovy".

Funny how a time or place or feeling can be conjured up by a song. I can see it now. All of us Generation Jonesers in the assisted living facility calling down the spirits of our youth. We'll be gathered around the pajama-clad dude - the one who managed to salvage an old guitar from the yard sale the day all of his worldly goods were spread out on the lawn to be sold to strangers with pockets full of rumpled dollar bills. He can still remember the chords and we all join in. "Like a bridge over troubled waters, I will lay me down". Then we move on to Elton John with a little "Rocket Man" as we rock in our chairs, nod knowingly, and sing "I think it's gonna be a long, long time".

1 comment:

noschoko said...

gives me beautiful shivers of remembrance, just reading about these songs...

best from austria
ursula