Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

I'm proud to have raised two daughters who care enough to vote. Today was Tessa's first time. Go Tessa! Way to make your momma proud! For Angela it's her second presidential election. She has been busy becoming an informed voter the last few months.

I've heard of waits ranging from 5 minutes to 2 hours to vote. My co-worker, Kristin, was so anxious from the media's dire warnings about long lines she showed up at her polling place at 5:30. That's A.M. She got the place all to herself for quite awhile. But she was the first to cast her vote in her precinct! One of the volunteer dentists who worked with us today waited for two hours, including the ten minutes his line was shut down while they carried a ballot out to a waiting car to allow a handicapped person to vote. It took me about 15 minutes to wait in line. Not bad. They seemed a little disorganized, like no one had told them there was going to be an elections until the last minute and they had to scurry around and get things set up. The worst part about it was they didn't have any of those "I Voted" stickers. I was bummed! I asked the lady how I was supposed to get my free Starbucks. She said she'd write me a note. I passed. It's not like they were giving away free lattes.

No comments: