Friday, May 22, 2009

Either you love it or you don't

As a rule I've not been a big fan of beards and mustaches. I mean, there are occasionally men who look better with a beard or mustache than without. I've never met a woman who looks better in either. Which is why I'm a big fan of a good wax job.

My first boyfriend showed up one day sporting a mustache. I wouldn't talk to him until he shaved. Yuck. OK, Mark went through a brief period of beardedness and it looked pretty good. Wish I had a picture. But it was too itchy, and it kind of bothered Mark too.

But there's good news for those who admire a good face full of the prickly stuff. You might want to plan a vacation to Anchorage, Alaska in June for the World Beard and Moustache Championships. (photo from http://www.time.com/)

I never cease to be amazed by how people join together. If you have a hobby, an illness, a cause, there's a group for that. The Internet adds a whole new dimension to this type of community. Interesting.

Wondering if there are any Okies registered at the National Beard Registry? You betcha. My favorite is Santa Charley - Charles Wright from Medicine Park. That's a 40 year old beard! Alright, I appreciate Santa beards. But that's a whole 'nother category.



4 comments:

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

I'm considering growing a beard.

tessa said...

beards are gross!!

Stephen said...

One wrong move with the beard trimmer and it's all over!

Cari said...

Stephen - after I posted this, I remembered how many male relatives have facial hair. Oops. I really meant to say that you all look outstanding in your manly beards.