Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Easy Come, Easy Go


If you happened to sign on to Yahoo.com this morning you might have been tempted to click on the Smartmoney.com article "10 Things Not to Buy in 2010".

Is it just me, or does Yahoo employ an extraordinarily talented headline writer? I promise myself I'm just going to pop in, check my email, and pop back out, and E.V.E.R.Y. time I get snagged by some intriguing headline.

Anyway, what I was saying was that this article is fairly painful for us Generation Jonsers. We've said good-bye to the LP record, 8-track, cassette, Walkman, video tape - all accompanied by expensive hardware. Now they want to pry our fingers off of our land-line phones, DVDs and external hard drives? I admit, my family hasn't owned a land-line phone for about seven years and hasn't really missed it. And we just cancelled our online movie rental membership in favor of the less expensive options of Hulu for missed television programs, and On-Demand cable movies. So if actions speak louder than words, we're modeling exactly what the article recommends.

Still, it's hard to let go of things we so badly wanted once-upon-a-time. Plus, what exactly are we supposed to do with all this stuff? Maybe just stash it somewhere until 2040 when it will suddenly be valuable as an uber-cool retro item?

And another thing - why, in 2040, will I not be an uber-cool retro item?

3 comments:

Shari said...

I agree about the grabby headline writer. I either need to change my home page or get more moral fortitude. I promise I'm headed for Blue Letter Bible dot com and end up reading about the top 10 reasons to ...

MarkJ said...

I have yahoo as my home page and I just logged in and HAD to read "LA Targets Football Teams". That would grab ANYBODY!!! They ROCK!!!

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

i'm going to be the last person on the face of the earth with a landline phone.